Christ Church in Katy, TX is actively helping our members and community who have been affected by Hurricane Harvey. We are very grateful that our church family is safe, though many have evacuated their homes and are beginning the difficult process of rebuilding. We already have a use for funds for cleanup efforts and relocation costs.
The Session of Christ Church has just authorized matching funds for donations made by individuals to our relief fund up to $25,000.
To help with this effort, you may:
- give online (securely) at the button below – 100% of funds will be used for disaster relief
Please note: After clicking the button, you will be asked to enter an amount and then choose Flood Relief from the drop-down menu. If you are giving on behalf of a church or organization, please note this in the comments section.
- send a check (made out to Christ Church with a note for flood relief mailed to 10818 Gaston Rd, Katy, TX 77494)
What we are doing now:
- With local volunteers, we have cleaned out and gutted 35 homes that have flooded from Cypress to Sugar Land, Katy to Pearland, TX
- relocating people displaced by flooding
- coordinating relief efforts with sister churches to see how we can help each other
- gathering supplies (ie. cleaning supplies, tools, dehumidifiers, etc.)
- planning for reconstruction work once homes have dried out
While we are not completely finished with cleaning out homes, we are approaching the time when home rebuild opportunities will begin to open up. That means that we are now beginning to host teams to do construction work. If you or your church would like to send a team to assist with cleanup and rebuild efforts, please send an email to FloodRelief@cckpca.org.
What supplies do we need?
- box fans (most critical)
- dehumidifiers (most critical)
- Mold/mildew killer (most critical)
- hammers and crowbars
- 2-gallon portable sprayers for chemical spraying
- respirator masks
- Good work gloves (Med, Lg, X-lg)
- Nitrile gloves (Med, Lg, X-lg)
- utility knives and dry wall saws
- safety glasses
Hurricane Harvey Facts:
- Harvey has produced the greatest amount of rainfall ever recorded in the continental United States from a single storm.
- Rainfall totals average at least 40” in Houston with some locations receiving almost 52”.
- The total amount of rain that fell on the Houston area is estimated to be 20 trillion gallons.
- If the rain had been snow it would have been the equivalent of nearly 210 inches, or 17.5 feet of snowfall.
- The storm has affected about 6.8 million people in 18 counties, a quarter of the Texas population.
- An estimated 100,000 homes have been damaged by flooding or tornadoes.
- Over 70 fatalities to date.
We covet the prayers of God’s people as we seek to serve in the aftermath of record-breaking flooding!